Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Not buying it

Hi, my name is Karen and I'm a shopaholic.

In the midst of global economic anxiety (have you heard about that??) and more than halfway through paying off my credit card debt (whoo!) I think I'm finally coming to a realization ... or perhaps getting more comfortable with something I've know for a long time: I have a problem with compulsive shopping.

I'm managing the habit and will have my credit card paid off by next April, but lately the compulsion has been rearing its ugly head (a la Putin).

Since I'm not keen to join a 12-step program, I've decided that I'll try blogging about covetable stuff instead of buying it. Who knows if it'll work, but at the very least, it's a way to share the cute things I find online but can't afford or justify.

Enough of the blah blah — let's see what I'm not buying right now!


Godless necklace, $45
The nontheist's answer to a gold cross. Sassy and classy. Well, maybe mostly sassy.

 




Apepazza 'Zebu' Boot, $294.95

How to resist something so freakin' adorable? Oh yeah, they cost $300. In addition to the cute knit accents, I just love the wacky name. Expensive shoes should have insane names.

 



Georgia dress, $49.99
One of my favorite techniques is to "virtually" shop online, putting everything my little heart desires in my shopping cart, basking in the glow of the checkout screen, then closing the window. I spent a little time pretending to buy this pretty thing last weekend. It was 20% off the marked down price, but I managed to talk myself out of it. Sigh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay! I'm so proud of you! I think it's a great idea to post things you want, but don't actually buy. Maybe one day you will be as frugal as me and buy everything from Goodwill. It could happen, right? :)

smartwick said...

I prefer my plan to become fabulously wealthy and be able to shop to my heart's content, but ... yeah, neither my dream nor yours is going to happen.